Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Auschwitz photographs



This past summer, thanks to the JewishFoundation for the Righteous, I had the opportunity to travel to Germany and Poland to visit a number of Holocaust historical sites. On the trip I picked up a number of terrific resources. One in particular is entitled, Auschwitz-Birkenau:The Place Where You Are Standing.... It follows the concept of the books with photos from the past next to those from the present taken from the same vantage point. In this case the present day photographer, Pawel Sawicki, attempted to match the photos from the Auschwitz Album. The decision to purchase this book was quick and easy. Of all the interesting places we visited I found myself drawn more to Auschwitz-Birkenau. I also like the then and now type photo books. In addition, I use a number of the photos from the Auschwitz Album when I teach about Auschwitz. Finally, the photographer was our tour guide for part of our visit to Auschwitz and he discussed the process of matching the present views with those in the past photos. It is available on the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum website. I highly recommend buying this book for both personal and professional use.

No comments:

Post a Comment